Halloween is right around the corner and what would a good Halloween celebration be without fun and delicious decorated sugar cookies?
Whether you and your Lanuguitos decorate the cookies with a cute ghost, or a sweet little lamb like Gloria with her “Day of the Dead” costume, the purpose is to have fun while doing so.
So enjoy, laugh, cook, and have a Spooktacular time!
Bake these cookies and use them as a blank canvas for creativity!
Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 2 ½ cups butter (at room temperature)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Cream the butter and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer on low medium speed. (Use the paddle attachment). Mix until thoroughly incorporated for about one minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a plastic spatula and mix again for a few seconds more.
- Add eggs slowly and mix. Scrape down the bowl with your spatula at least once and mix again.
- Add the vanilla to the mixing bowl. Alternatively, add liquid vanilla extract. Stir briefly.
- Sift your dry ingredients together. (Flour, baking powder and salt).
- Add all of the flour mixture to the bowl. Place a large tea towel or two small tea towels between the edge of the bowl and the electric mixer so that the flour won’t escape. Mix on low speed for 30 seconds. Remove the tea towels and observe the dough mixing; when it clumps around the paddle attachment it’s ready. It’s also important at this stage not to over mix the dough (the glutens in the flour develop and the dough can become tough).
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface. Place on a baking sheet and into the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Cut cookies into the desired shapes. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Re-roll scraps and repeat.
- Put cookie dough shapes back into the fridge for 10 minutes to 1 hour to chill again. They will then hold their shape better when baked.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F or 176°C.
- Bake cookies for 8-12 minutes or until the edges become golden brown. The baking time will depend on the size of your cookie.
- Let cookies cool to room temperature and decorate!
- 6oz (3/4 cup) warm water
- 5 tbs Meringue powder/li>
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 2.25 lbs (1 kilogram) Powered icing sugar
- Add water + meringue powder in a bowl. Mix for 30 secs in a mixer bowl with a hand whisk
- Add and mix cream of tartar for 30secs
- Add all of the icing sugar – use the slow mixer for 10 mints
- Tint with food color. Prevent dying with damp towel
Thank you Sugar Lace Bakery for this delicious and fun recipe!